Location: RIDEM Great Swamp Range in West Kingston, RI and/or RIDEM Fish and Wildlife Education Office in Exeter, RI
Classification: Limited term (35 hours per week)
Start Date: October 1, 2020
Duration: Five years
Contractual employee will work in a joint capacity with the Wildlife Management Institute (WMI) and Rhode Island Department of Environmental (RIDEM), Division of Fish and Wildlife, to provide support the Hunter Education coordinator. The incumbent will work from the Division of Fish & Wildlife headquarters in West Kingston, RI during the range season and from RIDEM Division of Fish and Wildlife Education Office located in Exeter, RI in the off-season. The work area will be statewide; and duties may require attendance at meetings and programs in other states. This position will be classified as a limited term employee of the WMI. Direct supervision of day-to-day activities will be provided by RIDEM Division of Fish & Wildlife.
Limited-term employees are defined as employees of WMI retained to provide a specific scope of services as defined within one or more grants or contracts awarded to WMI. WMI bases your employment upon your skills and knowledge and ability to achieve desired outcomes defined by RIDEM.
As a limited term employee:
- You will be expected to work no more than an average of 35 hours per week in any 12-month period.
- You will be eligible for WMI 401(k) retirement benefits and WMI will provide workers’ compensation, general liability protection, professional liability protection and unemployment insurance benefits. WMI will withhold taxes including social security.
- Total annual compensation will reflect your base salary plus the amount contributed to your 401(k) by WMI. In addition to salary but contingent upon the funding available within the contract or grant that defines your scope of services, WMI will reimburse you for any travel expenses that are necessary and reasonable to perform the duties assigned to you.
- Your employment will be “at-will,” which means that either you or WMI can end the employment relationship at any time, for any reason or no reason, with or without notice.
Technical Staff Assistant and Range Supervisor Duties
- Assist the Hunter Safety Education (HSE) coordinator with supervision of the Great Swamp state shooting range and Range Safety Officer Staff
- Prepare the public shooting range and related equipment for timely seasonal opening
- Breakdown and close the shooting range at the end of the season
- Order and ensure ample stock of shooting range equipment, supplies, materials as necessary
- Conduct and supervise range safety officer staff in conducting safety briefings for new and renewal permit holders,
- Accurately track and record shooting range use
- Assist HSE Coordinator with hiring Range Safety Officers
- Assist HSE Coordinator with the create and facilitation of in-school archery and other recruitment and mentoring programs
- Assist in Hunter Safety Education trainings
- Assist with special programming such as Ladies Day at the Range and Kids’ Day at the Range, as required
- Assist in creating, editing and maintaining social media outreach efforts
Combination of education and experience in disciplines associated with hunting and fishing to include; extensive knowledge of safe hunting practices; knowledge of firearms and archery safety practices; marksmanship; shooting range safety principles; wildlife management principles; recreational fishing ; knowledge of marine and freshwater ecology & habitats; and aquaculture. Firearms Instructor Certification and/or Range Safety Officer Certification.
Candidate must be highly organized, computer literate, possess excellent oral and written communication skills and have the ability to work independently. Working knowledge of Division of Fish & Wildlife Programs is highly desirable.
Conditions for Appointment: must be physically qualified to perform assigned duties, as evidenced by a physicians’ certificate. Must possess and maintain a Motor Vehicle Operator’s License.
Applications must be postmarked on or before the application deadline to be considered. Send a cover letter outlining your interest and qualifications and a resume to:
Scott Travers Hunter Safety Education Coordinator RIDEM Division of Fish and Wildlife 1B Camp E-Hun-Tee Place Exeter, RI 02822
Cover letters and resumes may also be emailed to: email@example.com.
For questions about WMI Limited Term Employee terms, contact: